Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Chapter 20

Sitting in his office, Jon stared out the window at the New York City skyline wondering if Amber received his flowers and had forgiven him for being the same species as Evan and Rafael. Even though Evan told him her last name before he took off in the Mustang for home on Sunday evening. He still didn’t have any number to reach her except her office number and so far she hadn’t returned his call that he made after hours by going through the company directory to get her extension.
That was Monday evening, this was now Wednesday and he was starting to worry she might have really written him off as an arrogant rock star that used her only for sex. It had been pretty damned great sex, but it was the woman that had him daydreaming when he should be reading contracts and getting the final decisions made for the upcoming tour. Tickets would be going on sale in a week and he had to sign off on everything before they started the whirlwind round of promos before that happened, instead he was sitting here like some untried teenaged boy worrying whether or not the girl he liked, liked him back. Fiddling with his pen, his long fingers twirling it around in them in distracted nervousness as he fought the urge to call her again.

“Hey Bro!” Richie wandered in without knocking and watched Jon for almost a minute before announcing his presence, aware now that his mind was elsewhere and something was eating at him or he wouldn’t be torturing the pen the way he was.

“Hey yourself” standing to greet his friend that was more brother than friend, grateful for the distraction from the blond hair and brown eyes that were haunting every waking and sleeping minute. “So how’s our girl, Ava?”

“Beautiful, smart, getting big and turning into quite the little soccer player. How about your kids?”

Shrugging, he grinned, “same, getting big and I’m missing all of them. What brings you down here?”

“I was in town. Hungry?”

Realizing he hadn’t eaten since morning, which was completely unlike him, Jon stood, stretched and followed his buddy out the door noticing that while he was in form fitting jeans and a purple dress shirt along with a sports jacket, Richie was in baggy Dockers and a t-shirt. “So what brings you to town?”

“I don’t know, some guy called to cajole me into doing a late night talk show with him? Know the guy?” laughing when Jon rolled his eyes since he’d forgotten all about the talk show circuit that was starting that night.

“Shit, man. I forgot all about it. Thanks for remembering.” Locking his door as they left, Jon followed Richie out to the elevator. His errant thoughts wandering to Amber and why she hadn’t called back yet, checking his cell again for missed calls.

“Where the hell are you man? Did you hear a word I said?” Unused to his partner’s distracted state of mind had Richie concerned.

“Huh? Sorry, I’m just a little preoccupied.”

“Tell me it’s business.”

“I wish I could, man.” Leaning his head back against the elevator wall. “I got myself woman trouble.”

“Aw shit bro, you don’t need that. We’ve got a tour coming up, you’re going to be on the road and we can do some serious partying!”

“It’s not like that man, she’s different, hell, she’s a fan. I can’t get her out of my head.” Exhaling, he stepped out of the elevator as the doors opened and they headed for a nearby favorite lunch spot.

Shaking his head, Richie watched as Jon lowered the sunglasses that had been on his head and strolled down the street seemingly unaware of the women watching the pair of them. “So tell me about the woman that has you in a tizzy.”

“You’ve already met her. Blond, brown eyes, landed on our laps on that flight to Miami?”

“Shit, you’ll never find her, give it up man.”

“She works for Evan Mitchellson, my buddy from school? He was trying to fix us up at that Habitat deal I attended over the weekend, didn’t know we’d already met. Problem is she thinks all I’m looking for is sex, can’t seem to convince her otherwise.”

“So call her up and ask her out on a proper date.” Slipping into a booth in the back facing the door so Jon’s back would be to it and they’d be less recognizable.

“I would if she’d just return my calls. I left a message at her office on Monday after Evan’s party and she’s ignoring me.”

“Call again. Who knows maybe their phone system deleted it. Besides, you can sweet talk any lady.” Grinning when Jon rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, maybe you’re right. I’ll call when I get back and ask her out to dinner.” Staring at the menu now convinced it could have been their phone system, the two of them enjoyed lunch and went back to the office afterwards to discuss some of the tour details before Richie headed out.

Dialing up Evan’s company, he waited for the receptionist to answer, “Amber Sullivan, please.”

“I’m sorry, she no longer works here.” Nervous at the silence on the other end of the phone, Cassidy had to ask, “is this personal or business?”

“Does it make a difference?”

“She’s a friend of mine, so if it’s personal I can get a message to her.”

Somewhat relieved, Jon thought a moment more before carefully wording his message, “just let her know that Jon called and I wanted to take her out to dinner.”

Writing it down, her curiosity got the best of her, after all, his voice sounded vaguely familiar, “were you the amber colored flowers?”

“Did she get them?”

“Yeah, I took them to her house. She knows who you are, right?” Something about the low purr of his voice was vibrating deep inside her and he wasn’t even asking her out.

“Oh yeah, she knows. What was your name?”

“Cassidy O’Conner, I’m Amber’s best friend.”

“Okay, Cassidy O’Conner, if you could make sure she gets the message I’d be exceedingly grateful.” Seeing his assistant standing at the door impatiently waiting for his signature on a stack of bills, Jon nodded for her to enter. “I’d appreciate any help you can give me, thanks. Bye.”

Hanging up the phone after saying goodbye herself, Cassidy’s hands were shaking, whoever the John guy was that wanted to date Amber, he had the sexiest voice she’d ever heard...this side of Jon Bon Jovi, that was. Blowing off the idea of calling Amber with the message, she stuffed it in her purse with every intention of dropping it off to her friend on the way home.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Darken' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP