Monday, January 19, 2009

Chapter 16

Jon held the car door for her, not quite certain what was going through her mind, at the same time planning how he was going to smooth things with Evan and find out more about this Rafael fellow. He didn’t care for what little he heard of her phone conversation and wanted to know exactly what was going on. Sliding into the seat next to her as she started backing out of the driveway, Jon flipped on her radio and grinned. “Nice selection.”

Frowning, Amber snappishly turned it off “nobody told you to mess with my radio.”

About to say something, he bit back his remark, rethought it and then spoke calmly and hoped soothingly “I wasn’t being sarcastic. I meant what I said. This Left Feels Right is the best record we ever did and it still hurts that people hated it.”

“I’ve heard you say that before, I love it.”

“Thanks. I’m sorry if I pissed you off. I just couldn’t stop myself from kissing you and it just led to...”

“Exactly where we both wanted it to lead. I should have more control around you, but I don’t. My job includes picking up people at the airport and I’ve never messed that up before. Now I’ll have to face Evan and he’ll guess what we were doing since I’m bringing you to the party.” Tears started to sting the backs of her eyes and she fought against them refusing to allow him to see the importance of Rafe not finding out what she’d done with Jon, hoping that Evan wouldn’t tell him.

“If that’s a problem for you, I’ll get out at the street and walk up after you get there. I’ll say I caught a taxi. I don’t want your reputation compromised.” He meant it, their relationship was at a very early tenuous stage and he didn’t want to lose her before it got started and for some reason he couldn’t quite put his finger on, he wanted this relationship to work.

Quickly looking over at him, she asked hesitantly “would you? I really don’t want anyone talking about this.”

“Sure darlin’. Don’t want you to get a reputation or anything.” Immediately after the words came out he regretted them. She was way too sensitive for any of his little remarks it seemed since she again looked like she would cry. “I’m sorry. Damn, I can’t do anything right here. Look, I want to see you again, go out on a proper date and you don’t act like you’re interested.”

Gripping the wheel a bit too tightly, she wanted to swing at him, there wasn’t any reason for him to be sweet talking her when they both knew it was just a quick roll in bed and done. Pulling up to the curb, she glared hard “this is where you get out Mr. Bon Jovi. You think you know me and you don’t even know my last name, much less my middle name to quote you. I recognize a fling when it happens, wake up and you will too Mr. Rock Star, now get out.” She wanted to cry or melt into his arms or take back everything she just said, but had to break ties with him to preserve what she had with Rafael. He was her future, not the rock star sitting on the passenger seat of her car, his electric blue eyes looking wounded.

Jon couldn’t respond, he was too stunned for words, so he climbed out of the car and stood on the sidewalk as her car disappeared into the gate of Evan’s house.

Amber sat in her car shaking, fearful she’d cry and even more afraid that she just made the worst mistake of her life. She’d dreamt of him half her life, slept with him and instead of reciprocating his almost believably sincere affection; she pushed him away wondering now what kind of world class fool she must be. Forcing herself to calm down, she exited the car and headed to the back where she knew that Rafe would be by now and would expect a full public apology.

Hanging back near the shrubbery that bordered the drive, Jon watched as she cautiously headed towards the party swearing at himself for developing feelings for a woman that obviously had issues. He’d seen enough of that with Richie and had no interest in falling into that trap himself. Waiting a reasonable amount of time, he followed into the back yard and what he expected to be a large corporate party.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Darken' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP