Thursday, January 15, 2009

Chapter 14

Sitting on her bed in his tuxedo pants and white shirt from the night before, Jon was drinking in the sight of her dressing, paying close attention to how carefully she was choosing every item of clothing and the thought occurred that he hadn’t asked if she had someone else in her life, being with her came so easily and he’d wanted her since their initial encounter in the plane. Discounting that idea since they’d spent the entire evening and night together without her once mentioning any entanglements that could encumber their budding relationship. Yet something about the way she was dressing, almost nervously, gave him pause. “Babe, it doesn’t matter what you wear, I’ll love it anyway.”

“Huh?” She swung around, still in her peach lace panties and bra with their tiny black ribbon running through them trying to find the low cut silk blouse that Rafe bought her the last time he came for a visit. She’d promised that she’d wear it when she saw him next and since his plane was landing in about forty five minutes she needed to locate it and find a way to remove Jon from her house before then.

“You seem determined to find something special and it doesn’t matter. You’ll look great in anything.”

Pausing for a moment, she couldn’t think of a way to gently tell him he needed to leave. “Thank you. I appreciate the sentiment, but I have to leave for the airport in about fifteen minutes.”

Startled, his eyebrows beetled together “I thought you’d give me a ride to Evan’s.”

Biting down on her lower lip, she reluctantly shook her head. “I can’t. I have to pick up a client at the airport, not exactly a client, he’s one of the studio’s producers, Rafael Montero and I have to take him to the party at Evan’s. I’m sorry.” And strangely she realized she was, she loved Rafe and up until last night she’d intended on accepting his proposal to marriage when he asked, since he already hinted about needing time alone. Jon changed everything and suddenly she wasn’t as convinced that it was what she wanted as she had been up until he reappeared last night. “I promised Evan a couple of weeks ago that I’d do the airport run. I’m sorry.”

“So why are you getting all dolled up if he’s just a client.” It was a question he couldn’t let go.

“I told you, nearly half the office and quite a number of our clients will be at Evan’s for this barbeque he invited you to. He neglected to tell you that, didn’t he? It’s not going to be the four of us, there will be nearly forty people there.” She hated that Evan was doing this to Jon without any forewarning of what he was walking into, not that he hadn’t done it numerous times very successfully, providing the party with celebrities that had no idea they were getting invited to something other than a private dinner. Most of the time the invited celebrity getting asked to perform or in some way provide entertainment.

“I could ride with you to pick up this client. I don’t mind.”

As much as she didn’t want to be the one to give her own personal rock star a reality check, she figured it was either her or it wouldn’t happen. “Jon, you don’t have to do this. There aren’t any strings, honest. I don’t want to be like that. I’m a big girl and I can take it. We barely know each other. I mean there was the really great fuck in the plane and last night and today that were incredible, but it was just sex. That’s what you’ve always said isn’t it?” Finding the blouse and slipping it over her head she tried to keep her eyes away from Jon, since every time those mind-blowing blue eyes landed on her she couldn’t think straight.

He felt as if he’d been kicked in the gut, nobody ever threw those words back at him, not a woman anyway. Every woman he’d ever met tried to turn a casual fling into some world class relationship and now when he was interested in exploring the possibility of a relationship with Amber, she was the one putting on the brakes. “Yeah, but that was years ago. I’d like to...”

“Jon, stop it. I’m a production assistant. You’re a rock star. We live in different worlds. I’m a fan that got incredibly lucky twice, please don’t ruin my memories of it. I have to go.”

“Amber, wait!” He was following after her as she escaped the bedroom, grabbing her purse, keys and slipping on her shoes as she attempted to leave the house without finishing their discussion. “You can’t leave like that!”

Swinging on him, she steeled herself against the pleading in his eyes to stay and talk. “I have to leave or I won’t be able to.”

Grinning in his particularly maddening way, his voice turned husky “I know that you’re anxious to go, but don’t you think you should finish dressing?” Seeing her eyes fly from flame to shock and astonishment in a split second tickled him and he began chuckling as the blush in her cheeks went from pink to bright red.

“You, you, you incorrigible man! This is all your fault.” Stopping for a moment, she thought about it and joined him in laughter. What was she doing walking away from the most generous man she’d ever slept with? Rafe was waiting, she knew he’d be at baggage claim before she even got there, it was how he was, always early even when the flight schedule said he’d be late.

Stepping forward he wrapped her in his strong arms, holding her gently, bending to kiss her forehead. “Incorrigible maybe, but wanting to get to know you better. Let me ride with you.”

“I can’t, Jon. I wish I could.” Watching his lips as his tongue edged across them providing moisture, longing to feel those lips on hers again when she anticipated that by evening’s end she’d be an engaged woman.

Smoothing a stray hair back from her face, Jon dipped his mouth lower and his words were barely a whisper on her breath “I wish you could too, I want to be with you, Amber.”

Her lips parted instinctively as they accepted his mouth on hers, sighing with the feel and taste of him invading her mouth as every nerve ending tingled in instant response, fully aware she would be late for the airport and would need to do some explaining quickly.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Darken' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP